Orange County Drug Possession Defense Attorneys
Protect Your Freedom Today by Calling (888) 478-8999
Have you been charged with drug possession? Unsure of what steps to take next? At Law Office of Michael L. Guisti, we can help you through the process and work to get your charges reduced or dismissed. No matter what the circumstances are surrounding your case, we are prepared to handle your charges.
With years of experience in criminal defense, our Orange County drug crime lawyer provides aggressive and fierce representation. Make sure you retain the right attorney for your case by calling on our firm today! We have a proven record of success and know how to defend our clients against even the toughest prosecutors.
Facing a Drug Possession Conviction in Orange County?
A drug charge, no matter how minor, has the potential to ruin future employment prospects, damage relationships, and scar a permanent record. There are certain drugs that are against the law to be found in possession of, especially while operating a vehicle.
Specifically, the law prohibits the following:
In order to prove you "possessed" a controlled substance, the District Attorney must be able to show that, first, you knew of the drug's presence, and second, you knew of its nature as a controlled substance.
Defending Your Drug Possession Charges
While it may seem impossible to fight charges involving drugs found on your person or your property, this is not always the case. Our experienced defense lawyers may be able to build a strong case on your behalf in the face of the toughest evidence.
Some details that may help reduce or dismiss your charges include the following:
- You have valid prescription
- There was a very small quantity of the drug
- You were unaware that you had illegal drugs in your possession
- The search and seizure was illegal
Under certain circumstances, you might also have a way out of drug possession charges through Proposition 47.
What is the Punishment for Possessing Drugs in OC?
Your case could be charged either as a felony or misdemeanor depending on the types of drugs found along with the facts of the case and your criminal history.
Depending on the factors surrounding your case, you could face the following penalties:
- Misdemeanor drug possession: If convicted of misdemeanor possession you face up to one year in a county jail and a maximum $1,000 fine.
- Felony drug possession: If convicted of felony possession probation and up to a year in Orange County jail, or between one-to-three years in a California State Prison.
- Alternative sentencing: With various programs under Proposition 36 and Penal Code 1000 if you could serve your time in a drug treatment program and avoid jail time.
You need to call the legal team at Law Office of Michael L. Guisti at (714) 530-9690 right away. We offer free consultations and will review your case as quickly as possible.
- California Health & Safety Code § 11357 - Possession
- California Health & Safety Code § 11359 - Possession for Sale
Whether you're facing a felony or a misdemeanor, don't risk a conviction. Act quickly to redeem your reputation and protect your record by consulting with our Orange County criminal defense lawyer. Call today to schedule your free consultation.